Friday, November 6, 2009
How to Lower Your Home Owner's Insurance
Just recently, I had to renew my Home owner's insurance. I took out my old policy for reference and tried shopping around for quotes. To my surprise there are not that many companies writing polocies in Florida. Even though I called Allstate, they gave me a quote but it was thru Citizen, go figure. I was very pleased with the treatment I was given. The girl worked with me until I actually got a quote that I was happy with. First, make sure you are not buying more insurance than what you need. Insure your home and not the land. I think is highly unlikely your land is going to disapear, unless you live on the water. If you do, you might want to consider adding flood insurance. The higher the coverage, the higher the premium. Contents of the house. What is the value of content. Remember you are only going to get replacement value for the items that are damaged or stolen. Making your deductibles higher can lower the premium as well, but remember that what ever the deductible is you need to have that at hand if something was to happen. Example: A storm comes and blows part of your roof. The repairs are going to be $4,500 and your deductible is $5,000 you are out of luck. I guess it depends on what you are confortable with. Alarm systems that are being monitored offer a good discount on your homeowners too. Installing storm windows can also help with discounts. Pets are also something to consider when shopping for insurance. If you have a large dog, the insurance might charge more premium, just in case the dog bites someone. Get a fish or a bird for a pet and your premium is cheaper. Don't forget if you are a senior you might get a discount. Insurance company figure a retired person is more at home and would be more likely to spot a fire than working person. I am not sure why some companies run a credit check but if they do and your credit is bad the premium is higher. So if your credit is not good you might want to ask if the company runs credit checks. Good luck on your next home owners insurance shopping.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment